Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sea Ranch...

is a very special place.  I have wanted to stay here ever since hearing about it in one of my survey of architectural history classes in college. It's not just about the architecture, or the landscape, but this amazing juxtaposition of the two. There is even suprisingly respective infill around the site (they must have good design guidelines).  I bought this ridiculously large book about it while we were there, and now want to read and learn all about the project, how it came into being, how it changed over time (things only really nerdy historians would want to know). Driving the coast in the rain, although scary at time, was really amazing. We covered a lot of ground in one weekend: hitting up the Point Arena Lighthouse, Fort Ross, Jenner, Mendocino, and Fort Bragg along the way. I love that I live in a major city, and only a few hours away is this totally different world, of pristine coastline and tiny villages, where the speed of life is a bit slower, and you can recharge in only a few short days.  Here are some pics from our trip.




Sunset view from our house.



Walking in the rain.




Oh, that California coastline!





A beautiful Victorian in Mendocino.

No comments:

Post a Comment